Region I SWMD Annual Meeting
The East Central Missouri Solid Waste Management District-Region I, administered by Boonslick Regional Planning Commission, held its annual meeting on Tuesday, November 16, 2021. The guest presenter for the event (via Zoom videoconference) was Jeffrey Brown of BrandBuilders LLC.
Organics make up 30% of the waste stream. Mr. Brown spoke about the importance of diverting this material from landfills and shared information about how his company has worked with several communities in the St. Louis area to promote organics waste collection. He had sent an example of a composter that can be used to convert kitchen and garden waste into “black soil”. This compost can then be used in growing healthy plants.
Mr. Brown shared his website which contains educational videos and his contact information should any local government be interested in working with his company on establishing an organics waste collection program in their community.
District Planner Chad Eggen highlighted some of the activities of the Region I SWMD including the following:
- The East Central Missouri Recycling Center has diverted more than 3,050 tons of material since opening.
- Improvements, including new fencing and storage containers were made at the recycling center. Chad thanked Warren County for their assistance with these improvements.
- An educational display was placed at the recycling center during the week of Earth Day.
- Staff sent out information and placed a link on the District’s website to pharmaceutical take-back and safe disposal locations in Missouri.
- Through sending out newsletters and putting information on the website, staff got word out about a Missouri DNR free pesticide collection which was held in Marthasville on September 25, 2021. It was a successful event with 82 participants and 12,419 lbs. of material collected. C.J. Plassmeyer, who works with the DNR Pesticide Collection Program shared, “The collection was very successful with the most participants ever at any one event. Thanks for all your help spreading the word for this event.”
- The Region I SWMD FY2023 grant call will be going out, with applications due December 31, 2021.
If you have any questions about Region I SWMD activities, please feel free to contact Planner Chad Eggen at email@example.com or by calling (636) 456-3473.
Region I SWMD Annual Meeting Presentation
YOU Can Make a Difference by Recycling!
- Did you know that your plastic bottle can be recycled into new plastic bottles 10 times before being made into another product, like clothing or carpet?
- Did you know that your cans are infinitely recyclable?
- When you put a can into your curbside recycling, it can be remade into a new can and back on your grocery store shelf within 60 days!
Region I SWMD Newsletters
The Region I Solid Waste Management District strives to provide educational opportunities for residents of the region. Groups are welcome to tour the East Central Missouri Recycling Center. In addition, staff member Chuck Eichmeyer visits school groups within the region and provides presentations about recycling for students of all ages. If you are interested in a tour or presentation for your group, please contact us at (636) 456-3473.
About the District
Executive Board Members
- Chairman – Lon Little – Montgomery County
- Vice Chairman – Stephanie Norton, Franklin County Emergency Management – Franklin County
- Secretary – Ryan Ruckel – Lincoln County
- Treasurer – Fred Vahle – Warren County
Advisory Committee Members
- Pam Gildehaus, City of Washington
- Julie Ingoli, Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Missouri, Troy
Board Membership Region I